- (functioning as singular) The philosophical study of the moral value of human conduct and of the rules and principles that ought to govern it; moral philosophy See also meta-ethics
- (functioning as plural) A social, religious, or civil code of behaviour considered correct, esp that of a particular group, profession, or individual
- (functioning as plural) The moral fitness of a decision, course of action, etc
Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers Collins Dictionary
- The study of standards of conduct and moral judgment; moral philosophy
- A treatise on this study
- [with sing. or pl. v.] The system or code of morals of a particular person, religion, group, profession, etc.
Webster’s New World College Dictionary, 4th Edition. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.« Back to Glossary Index